this is interesting:
"The Americans and Italians knew about (her) car coming," Pier Scolari said on leaving Rome's Celio military hospital where Sgrena is to undergo surgery following her return home.
"They were 700 meters (yards) from the airport, which means that they had passed all checkpoints."
"Giuliana had information, and the US military did not want her to survive," he added.
When Sgrena was kidnapped on February 4 she was writing an article on refugees from Fallujah seeking shelter at a Baghdad mosque after US forces bombed the former Sunni rebel stronghold.
Bush and Berlusconi will have the wrath of the Italian people after this debaucle. There will be fall-out from this event. I guarantee it.
Update: These are some really important articles via Crooks and Liars. First it has become apparent that there was no checkpoint and they don't know where the bullets came from. Let's wait and see what the investigators come up with, but I believe this is very significant. The important thing is that out of this tragedy some sort of protocol for accountability is born. I am aware of many many incidents where Iraqis have been killed in this manner and not a single investigation is launched. Now I hope this case gets needled to the point where whomever is responsible for this is taken to account and for there, again, to be some sort of manner to avoid senseless deaths as is the case with Italian special agent Nicola Calipari. Here are the summaries of several important articles from several different countries:
via Bloomberg: Sgrena told Rome prosecutors Franco Ionta and Pietro Saviotti that the shots didn't come from soldiers standing at a checkpoint.
`It wasn't a checkpoint, but a patrol that started shooting after pointing some lights in our direction,'' the Ansa news agency cited Sgrena as telling the prosecutors. ``We hadn't previously encountered any checkpoint and we didn't understand where the shots came from.'' ...
via Direland: Dramatic breaking news from Europe: the Nouvel Observateur 's daily news bulletin reports in a Saturday afternoon posting that Scregna says the conduct of the car in which she was being transported to liberty couldn't possibly justify the fusillade that riddled it and its occupants with bullets. "Our car was rolling along at normal speed, so it was impossible for there to have been a misunderstanding," Scregna told the Italian magistrates who've been charged with investigating the murderous incident, according to the Italian wire service Ansa-- which also says her account has been confirmed by one of the Italian secret service agents in the car with her, who was likewise wounded.
via Turkish Press: The companion of freed Italian journalist Giuliana Sgrena on Saturday leveled serious accusations at US troops who fired at her convoy as it was nearing Baghdad airport, saying the shooting had been deliberate.
Again, another thank you to Crooks and Liars for letting me snatch their code to make this post quicker.
- ► 2006 (52)
- Irakast #5, DoD Arabic lesson to Drum&Bass brought...
- Easter Greetings
- Wooster Collective : Banksy Jammin' Museum Goers
- Easter Video: Institute for Policy Studies Nationa...
- Memetics memetics, oh sweet brilliant memetics
- Religious and Republican Fanaticism Almost Reaches...
- Le blog et L'empire
- Iraqshank Redemption?
- Sgrena: She was not on the main road to the airpor...
- Blogging makes me more angry at the world someti...
- US wants to help India be a superpower (Sify.com) ...
- I'm lost. Do you have a road map?
- An open letter to Iraq the Model
- Dunyah Mithil Khiah'rah, Yom bi Thumak Yom bi TEez...
- Gesture marks sponsorship of religious violence an...
- ENOUGH! ...Demanding an Independent International...
- -Images, Words, and Understanding: Clarifying the...
- Irakast #4, The Department of Defense Arabic Less...
- Oh my goddess
- Introducing Liminal Radio: An Irakast Production
- A break, take 2
- NY TIMES EDITORIAL: 24 MARCH 2005
- Duke Wen, 13th Year (614 B.C.E.)
- Death at 'immoral' picnic in the park
- Kaslik bombing kills two, injures three
- Zeyad: Mahdi Army Beats 2 Students to Death in Bas...
- The Thin Heretical Line: Amarji
- Anniversary Audio: Stop the War
- Sunday Cyborg Blogging
- Watch John Bolton saying "There is no United Natio...
- "Ilaab Ma'ah Bade'autnah" summit hit by withdrawal...
- Embrace Me
- Tomorrow is the second anniversary of your illegal...
- Iceland to give Fischer passport
- It's a SYSTEM PROBLEM, stupid.
- Secret US Plans for Iraq's Oil: Greg Palast report...
- The guy who created the plan to destroy Iraq, will...
- They will not step down.
- Karzai shows off "Heroin-Brown Revolution" to Afgh...
- Need some bullets?
- Keep Walking
- Irakast #2: Dedicated to Italy and Silvio Berlusco...
- Berlusconi: Italy 'to pull troops from Iraq'
- Robert Fisk's latest articles
- Lebanese Opposition Represent!
- 1 Million
- Islamangelicals Unite with Evangelicals to...
- Good News From Iraq!
- A cowboy wouldn't imprison children
- It's a big mistake to think you can make people fo...
- Ramadi Madness not nearly as realistic as Abu Ghra...
- Lebanese Opposition Bamboozled?
- Freedom at a price: Guiliana Sgrena
- Magritte & Foucault: La trahison des images
- Bush's reaction to the Hizb'allah organized protes...
- Army report: U.S. lost control in Iraq three month...
- The irony of it all: 140,000 v. 14,000
- Half a million?
- Zoom OUT!
- Who to believe?
- Irakast #1 in .ogg vorbis format
- Irakast #1: Flippin' Through Foreign Policy
- Another Scary Neocon "Yes Man" named US ambassador...
- On perspectives...
- Revamping Links, New Email
- Tom Tomorrow: Nothing to See Here
- Slavoj Zizek: The Not-So-Quiet American
- US Attack Against Italians in Baghdad was Delibera...
- Iraki Podkast?
- Robert Parry weighs in at Consortium News
- Bin Laden is from Saudi Arabia. Did you know that...
- What's wrong with Baghdad?
- Send Martha to Syria
- Real Stupid, Real Ridiculous
- "Jeff Gannon," male prostitute and veteran White H...
- The Lebanese "Book'rah" Disease
- 2 reasons to love Lebanon: THE WOMEN and THE WOME...
- Caravaggio Exhibit: Now in London
- Question time
- ALL EYEZ ON YOU: Assad says Syrian pullout soon
- On habeas corpus ad subjiciendum: Is the constitut...
- Trio of Papers Pull Today's 'Boondocks' Referring ...
- ▼ March (87)
- Korea Life Blog
- Academic Secret
- African Food Blog
- Genius Duck
- Second String Swap
- Work at Home News
- Just Another Opinion Blog
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Chiefly Musing Home Tips
- Health Talk and You
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Health Talk and You
- Saints Car Club
- Moon Rider
- Super Pong
- Jeffrey Scott Band
- Fusion Recipes
- Oregon Lawyers
- Rent Empress
- Jake Gyllenhaal Fan Club
- Hurdler Page
- Johnny Bravo Site
- Survey Land
- Internet Data
- Film Acting
- Golden Girls Quotes
- Soda Traders
- The Chess Haven
- Integrity Library
- A&F Models
- Dancer's Domain
- Myanmar Institute of Technology
- Pilgrim's Products
- Redhead Hair Site
- Olympics Page