07:45 | Posted by liminal | Edit Post
Ammar Abdulhamid speaks from Syria. Wise words. To continue reading this post, click "Mainline" or here! What voice and eloquence!
American policies are not set in stone. There have been thousands of documents like Clean Break that never amounted to anything but wishful thinking. They were either shelved in favor of other policy options or were simply overtaken by events. Those in the Middle East who fear the “ominous” content of Clean Break should realize that the implementation of it, no matter how influential its authors seem to be at this stage, could, nonetheless, be seriously undermined through the adoption of a more pragmatic and proactive attitude by the regimes and parties concerned.
Dealing with US policy with a sense of fatalism will only justify the basic claims and arguments of the Clean Break advocates, namely that most ME societies, especially traditional Arab societies, along with the ruling regimes they have spewed and regurgitated over the years, are simply irreformable, irredeemable, unsalvageable, and, in short, incapable of working out their own salvation. As such, external interference is a must even if, on the short to intermediate run, it means chaos. For a chaotic dynamism is much better, from their view, than static nihilism.
In all this, America, regardless of where it is located with regard to this at a given moment, is all too simply and earnestly seeking to achieve its own interests. What else?
For politics, frequent recourse to moral justifications notwithstanding, is an amoral science par excellence. Only victims of this science tend to complain about its nature and applications. The beneficiaries, on the other hand, will simply state that this is the way things have been since time immemorial.
For instance, all Arab nationalists are willing to condemn American imperialism but none is willing to condemn the Arab imperialist experiment that took place under the banner of Islam. We can all understand the special circumstance and context of the imperialist ventures of our forefathers, but we are completely unwilling to fathom the logic behind the imperialist ventures perpetrated against us at any given moment, so long as we remain the victims thereof. This is only natural of course. No one likes to be a victim.
- ► 2006 (52)
- Irakast #5, DoD Arabic lesson to Drum&Bass brought...
- Easter Greetings
- Wooster Collective : Banksy Jammin' Museum Goers
- Easter Video: Institute for Policy Studies Nationa...
- Memetics memetics, oh sweet brilliant memetics
- Religious and Republican Fanaticism Almost Reaches...
- Le blog et L'empire
- Iraqshank Redemption?
- Sgrena: She was not on the main road to the airpor...
- Blogging makes me more angry at the world someti...
- US wants to help India be a superpower (Sify.com) ...
- I'm lost. Do you have a road map?
- An open letter to Iraq the Model
- Dunyah Mithil Khiah'rah, Yom bi Thumak Yom bi TEez...
- Gesture marks sponsorship of religious violence an...
- ENOUGH! ...Demanding an Independent International...
- -Images, Words, and Understanding: Clarifying the...
- Irakast #4, The Department of Defense Arabic Less...
- Oh my goddess
- Introducing Liminal Radio: An Irakast Production
- A break, take 2
- NY TIMES EDITORIAL: 24 MARCH 2005
- Duke Wen, 13th Year (614 B.C.E.)
- Death at 'immoral' picnic in the park
- Kaslik bombing kills two, injures three
- Zeyad: Mahdi Army Beats 2 Students to Death in Bas...
- The Thin Heretical Line: Amarji
- Anniversary Audio: Stop the War
- Sunday Cyborg Blogging
- Watch John Bolton saying "There is no United Natio...
- "Ilaab Ma'ah Bade'autnah" summit hit by withdrawal...
- Embrace Me
- Tomorrow is the second anniversary of your illegal...
- Iceland to give Fischer passport
- It's a SYSTEM PROBLEM, stupid.
- Secret US Plans for Iraq's Oil: Greg Palast report...
- The guy who created the plan to destroy Iraq, will...
- They will not step down.
- Karzai shows off "Heroin-Brown Revolution" to Afgh...
- Need some bullets?
- Keep Walking
- Irakast #2: Dedicated to Italy and Silvio Berlusco...
- Berlusconi: Italy 'to pull troops from Iraq'
- Robert Fisk's latest articles
- Lebanese Opposition Represent!
- 1 Million
- Islamangelicals Unite with Evangelicals to...
- Good News From Iraq!
- A cowboy wouldn't imprison children
- It's a big mistake to think you can make people fo...
- Ramadi Madness not nearly as realistic as Abu Ghra...
- Lebanese Opposition Bamboozled?
- Freedom at a price: Guiliana Sgrena
- Magritte & Foucault: La trahison des images
- Bush's reaction to the Hizb'allah organized protes...
- Army report: U.S. lost control in Iraq three month...
- The irony of it all: 140,000 v. 14,000
- Half a million?
- Zoom OUT!
- Who to believe?
- Irakast #1 in .ogg vorbis format
- Irakast #1: Flippin' Through Foreign Policy
- Another Scary Neocon "Yes Man" named US ambassador...
- On perspectives...
- Revamping Links, New Email
- Tom Tomorrow: Nothing to See Here
- Slavoj Zizek: The Not-So-Quiet American
- US Attack Against Italians in Baghdad was Delibera...
- Iraki Podkast?
- Robert Parry weighs in at Consortium News
- Bin Laden is from Saudi Arabia. Did you know that...
- What's wrong with Baghdad?
- Send Martha to Syria
- Real Stupid, Real Ridiculous
- "Jeff Gannon," male prostitute and veteran White H...
- The Lebanese "Book'rah" Disease
- 2 reasons to love Lebanon: THE WOMEN and THE WOME...
- Caravaggio Exhibit: Now in London
- Question time
- ALL EYEZ ON YOU: Assad says Syrian pullout soon
- On habeas corpus ad subjiciendum: Is the constitut...
- Trio of Papers Pull Today's 'Boondocks' Referring ...
- ▼ March (87)
- Korea Life Blog
- Academic Secret
- African Food Blog
- Genius Duck
- Second String Swap
- Work at Home News
- Just Another Opinion Blog
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Chiefly Musing Home Tips
- Health Talk and You
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Health Talk and You
- Saints Car Club
- Moon Rider
- Super Pong
- Jeffrey Scott Band
- Fusion Recipes
- Oregon Lawyers
- Rent Empress
- Jake Gyllenhaal Fan Club
- Hurdler Page
- Johnny Bravo Site
- Survey Land
- Internet Data
- Film Acting
- Golden Girls Quotes
- Soda Traders
- The Chess Haven
- Integrity Library
- A&F Models
- Dancer's Domain
- Myanmar Institute of Technology
- Pilgrim's Products
- Redhead Hair Site
- Olympics Page