9.3.05

Lebanese Opposition Bamboozled?

These are some of my thoughts about the last 9 days or so in Lebanon. Where can I possibly begin? I have the feeling there was essentially a delayed vote of confidence in order to bide time to organize the pro-Syria protest. Karami never really resigned. It was a very cunning move by the Syrian government and intelligence forces. We can now probably conclude the thinking that Lebanese politics comprises only of Mount Lebanon and Beirut is incorrect. Hizb'allah has scarily shown they are a force to be reckoned with in the political sphere. Of course, many Lebanese are saying there are half a million Palestinians in Beirut, a million Syrian workers...and the pro-Syrian protest doesn't represent the Lebanese. I agree with that in principle, yet pragmatically it doesn't fly. The political influence of guys slobering all over pictures of that slimey man Hafez Al-Assad in Beirut is completely crazy, but it resonates deeply. Syria is sending the signal, "Lebanon is ours." We now see the Syrian strategy naked before us. The Karami puppet-government called off the vote of confidence and resigned. This mollified some and calmed the situation slightly as they organized the two big shows of people power in favor of both the dead Hafez and Bashar Al-Assad in Beirut on Tuesday and today in Damascus. Of course, I read right through this. And it's really disingenuous to me, but Hizb'allah is extremely organized. You've got to give them that much. The opposition in Lebanon is not nearly as organized and I see our chances at a true independence from Syrian control fading fast. I'm very pessimistic about things now. So, don't try to tell me otherwise. Syria is not going anywhere without bringing Lebanon down in the blood of its own people...similar to the last civil war. I'm extremely depressed about this, so if you make some off-color comments to me expect to be forever nixed from my blog.

For me, a secular leaning, Assyrian Orthodox raised person, it is alarming. I don't like Hizb'allah one bit in that they mix religion with politics in a very ingenious way: by providing basic services (food, water, schools) to disenfranchised people in Lebanon. It kind of reminds me of how the religious right in America uses religion to invoke patriotism of the sort we saw in Kentucky. PLEASE NOTE: I am a firm believer in a very very strong separation between religion and state. It is extremely IRONIC, isn't it? And John Stewart was right-on tonight when he mentioned that it seems like this American administration is working to spread irony throughout the world.


So, Hizb'allah is very effective because they provide where the Lebanese government fails to provide. Imagine if an organization was making sure your family was fed well, had plenty of free or cheap water and access to a free education. And this organization did it much better than your own government! Where would your loyalties be? With the government that hasn't done a damn thing for you, or for that organization. Well, that's what we're facing with Hizb'allah in Lebanon. That's scary when you combine it with radical views, if you ask me. And they have, indeed, done good things for many poor in Lebanon (believe it or not). So, we've got to face the facts. And we've got to ask the question, why does Hizb'allah even exist? We've got to take a deep look at its history and how the empowered Shia populations across the near-east will have a monopolizing influence in regional politics in the coming years.

Right now, I don't feel like dealing with anybody's comments regarding this subject matter. Especially after the last full post I made. So, I'm closing the comments in this post. Email me if you like. We can still communicate, you know. It doesn't have to be an excercise of exhibitionism, as a blog sometimes becomes. I'm very open to communicate as long as you're civil with me. When you cross the line, I show you the door.

Peace to all,

Lim.

Blog Archive