14:31 | Posted by liminal | Edit Post
I--just this minute--had the chance to read the Fisk article. Please note, he has lived in Beirut for 30 years now. He knows Lebanon. And I know why I avoided reading the article for so long:
To the outside world, this may seem a victory devoutly to be wished: just two weeks after the murder of the former prime minister Rafik Hariri - a prominent opponent of the Syrian presence in Lebanon - the army of Damascus is pulling out of the country it has dominated for 29 long years. At last, free elections might be held in Lebanon, further proof that - thanks to Mr Bush - democracy is breaking out across the Arab world. Iraq held elections, Saudi Arabia held local elections, President Hosni Mubarak promises a contended election for the presidency of Egypt. So why shouldn't Lebanon be happy?
Have we forgotten 150,000 dead? Have we forgotten the Western hostages? Have we forgotten the 241 Americans who died in the suicide bombing of 23 October 1983? This democracy, if it comes, will be drenched with blood - but the blood will be that of the Lebanese who live here, not that of the foreigners who wish to bestow freedom upon them.
[Y]et again, Lebanon risks becoming a battlefield for the wars of non- Lebanese.
For 30 years, America has tolerated - even supported - Syria's military presence in Lebanon. In 1976, both the Israelis and the Americans wanted Syrian troops in Lebanon - because they would be able to "control" the 300,000 Palestinian refugees in Lebanon - but now Mr Bush's real concern is Syria's supposed support for the insurgency in Iraq.
The irony is extraordinary: 140,000 American troops occupy Iraq - we shall leave the Israeli occupation forces in Palestinian lands out of this equation - while their President demands the withdrawal of 14,000 Syrian troops from Lebanon.
- ► 2006 (52)
- Irakast #5, DoD Arabic lesson to Drum&Bass brought...
- Easter Greetings
- Wooster Collective : Banksy Jammin' Museum Goers
- Easter Video: Institute for Policy Studies Nationa...
- Memetics memetics, oh sweet brilliant memetics
- Religious and Republican Fanaticism Almost Reaches...
- Le blog et L'empire
- Iraqshank Redemption?
- Sgrena: She was not on the main road to the airpor...
- Blogging makes me more angry at the world someti...
- US wants to help India be a superpower (Sify.com) ...
- I'm lost. Do you have a road map?
- An open letter to Iraq the Model
- Dunyah Mithil Khiah'rah, Yom bi Thumak Yom bi TEez...
- Gesture marks sponsorship of religious violence an...
- ENOUGH! ...Demanding an Independent International...
- -Images, Words, and Understanding: Clarifying the...
- Irakast #4, The Department of Defense Arabic Less...
- Oh my goddess
- Introducing Liminal Radio: An Irakast Production
- A break, take 2
- NY TIMES EDITORIAL: 24 MARCH 2005
- Duke Wen, 13th Year (614 B.C.E.)
- Death at 'immoral' picnic in the park
- Kaslik bombing kills two, injures three
- Zeyad: Mahdi Army Beats 2 Students to Death in Bas...
- The Thin Heretical Line: Amarji
- Anniversary Audio: Stop the War
- Sunday Cyborg Blogging
- Watch John Bolton saying "There is no United Natio...
- "Ilaab Ma'ah Bade'autnah" summit hit by withdrawal...
- Embrace Me
- Tomorrow is the second anniversary of your illegal...
- Iceland to give Fischer passport
- It's a SYSTEM PROBLEM, stupid.
- Secret US Plans for Iraq's Oil: Greg Palast report...
- The guy who created the plan to destroy Iraq, will...
- They will not step down.
- Karzai shows off "Heroin-Brown Revolution" to Afgh...
- Need some bullets?
- Keep Walking
- Irakast #2: Dedicated to Italy and Silvio Berlusco...
- Berlusconi: Italy 'to pull troops from Iraq'
- Robert Fisk's latest articles
- Lebanese Opposition Represent!
- 1 Million
- Islamangelicals Unite with Evangelicals to...
- Good News From Iraq!
- A cowboy wouldn't imprison children
- It's a big mistake to think you can make people fo...
- Ramadi Madness not nearly as realistic as Abu Ghra...
- Lebanese Opposition Bamboozled?
- Freedom at a price: Guiliana Sgrena
- Magritte & Foucault: La trahison des images
- Bush's reaction to the Hizb'allah organized protes...
- Army report: U.S. lost control in Iraq three month...
- The irony of it all: 140,000 v. 14,000
- Half a million?
- Zoom OUT!
- Who to believe?
- Irakast #1 in .ogg vorbis format
- Irakast #1: Flippin' Through Foreign Policy
- Another Scary Neocon "Yes Man" named US ambassador...
- On perspectives...
- Revamping Links, New Email
- Tom Tomorrow: Nothing to See Here
- Slavoj Zizek: The Not-So-Quiet American
- US Attack Against Italians in Baghdad was Delibera...
- Iraki Podkast?
- Robert Parry weighs in at Consortium News
- Bin Laden is from Saudi Arabia. Did you know that...
- What's wrong with Baghdad?
- Send Martha to Syria
- Real Stupid, Real Ridiculous
- "Jeff Gannon," male prostitute and veteran White H...
- The Lebanese "Book'rah" Disease
- 2 reasons to love Lebanon: THE WOMEN and THE WOME...
- Caravaggio Exhibit: Now in London
- Question time
- ALL EYEZ ON YOU: Assad says Syrian pullout soon
- On habeas corpus ad subjiciendum: Is the constitut...
- Trio of Papers Pull Today's 'Boondocks' Referring ...
- ▼ March (87)
- Korea Life Blog
- Academic Secret
- African Food Blog
- Genius Duck
- Second String Swap
- Work at Home News
- Just Another Opinion Blog
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Chiefly Musing Home Tips
- Health Talk and You
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Health Talk and You
- Saints Car Club
- Moon Rider
- Super Pong
- Jeffrey Scott Band
- Fusion Recipes
- Oregon Lawyers
- Rent Empress
- Jake Gyllenhaal Fan Club
- Hurdler Page
- Johnny Bravo Site
- Survey Land
- Internet Data
- Film Acting
- Golden Girls Quotes
- Soda Traders
- The Chess Haven
- Integrity Library
- A&F Models
- Dancer's Domain
- Myanmar Institute of Technology
- Pilgrim's Products
- Redhead Hair Site
- Olympics Page