Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, Copyright 1952.
A shout out thanks to Johnny Depp for bringing it to my attention.
- ► 2006 (52)
- Be happy, rest, savor the victory...
- Commentary on the Lebanese situation
- The entire Lebanese government resigns, now Lahoud...
- VICTORY #1: Prime Minister Omar Karameh Steps Down...
- Thousands rally in Beirut, Pre-empting the protest...
- Syria Did It
- If you get the chance...
- Max Ehrmann sums it up in Desiderata
- Who is your daddy, and what does he do?
- The Right Wing Echo Chamber on Video
- If William Faulkner were writing on the Bush White...
- Feeling Iraq'd?
- Iraqi women live in fear, Amnesty says
- Egypt announces democratic reform: Nawal Saadawi f...
- No votes in Nineveh: We are the new Kurds, a crush...
- Marine escapes charges over Fallujah shooting beca...
- You can't be patriotic if you're gay, it's against...
- Nuclear Security: Georgey's gotta prop Putin up
- This just in: Jaafari chosen as Iraq's next Prime...
- Resume: GWBoosh
- Kulluna lil-watan, lil'ula lil-'alam...
- Nietzsche and Ahmed
- Amen Bob, amen...
- Hunter S. Thompson rest in peace
- 50 Questions for Alberto Gonzales
- Slavoj Zizek: The empty wheelbarrow
- Nick Kilroy rest in peace
- I got pepper in my eye. Don't ask how...So, I hav...
- Classic - Rainbow TV
- Nobel Peace Prize Winner: Attacking Iran would br...
- Chronicles of the Teflon President: The Secret Ta...
- Government Accountability Office Warns Federal Age...
- The White House has ties to gay prostitution
- Frontline causes controversy...again.
- Most Americans Don't Know..
- U.S. Soldiers Taking Ecstasy
- Pentagon Prepares To Build $130bn Robot Army
- Jon Stewart's Daily Show on Bloggers 02/16/05
- Friedman is lying about meeting Hariri in the 70s:...
- DNI = Subservient Yes Man That Turns Blind Eye to ...
- Lebanese Blogger Forum
- Laura Rozen provides an interesting linkhere that ...
- Lebanese Blogs
- Attending to the Fly of the Emperor
- Un Regard Moderne - Edition du mardi 15 fevrier 20...
- US Accused of Plan to Muzzle al-Jazeera Through Pr...
- Bene Diction Blogs On: Accountability: Church Recr...
- Pop-up Windows?
- The End of Blogging? Google Pulls The Plug
- Military Mission
- Israeli spies, Syrian obsession and a peace that h...
- The killing of 'Mr Lebanon': Rafik Hariri assassin...
- What did I tell you about the Security Council?
- Reactions from Lebanon after Hariri's Assassinatio...
- Incompetence in the Wild West Why Allawi, the CPA...
- Ereli Impressed...
- Teez'oh Sol'iff l'oh
- Lebanon Bomb
- DoS/International Information Programs: Foreign Co...
- Paranoia Grips US
- Chomsky: Budget attacks America's majority
- Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character...
- Discussions and Posts about the Creepy church recr...
- Juan Cole gives an election roundup that's worth c...
- The London Independent reveals, Training of Ira...
- 5,500 US Troops flee the war in Iraq
- EFFICIENT VERSION: Holy S**t! It's fascist picture...
- l e b a n e s e s u n r i s e
- See, Speak, Hear No Evil
- LOOK, I'M REALLY FRUSTRATED RIGHT NOW. I CANNOT M...
- River blogs about elections, the stories, the time...
- The Incredible Joe Wilson Speaks Out at the Daily ...
- No War on Iran!
- Carnival, Mardi Gras, or Iraq?
- Anger is an energy -P.I.
- Grrrr... this makes me so angry. You have no clue...
- Via Marie at the kos: Pentagon to broadcast to mil...
- CROOKS AND LIARS...that's only the tip of it.
- I'm a sucker for satire.
- CBFTW: This blog is no longer a blog written by a ...
- Masters of Blog
- I love Senator Barbara Boxer.
- PMBC Men's Night Out January 28, 2005: some more m...
- Gannon the fake reporter for a fake news organisat...
- sometimes we wonder why air is so indifferent to l...
- dowd on madame hawk's scripted questions
- Please Listen to Zeyad
- .tiff screenshots of the Church Recruitment Incide...
- Mark of JSF enlightens me about a campaign of conf...
- An Iraqi nationalist party is needed
- In an attempt to clear the mental palette, I retur...
- Holy S**t! It's fascist picture story time!!
- The soft and the pliable will defeat the hard and ...
- Avi Shlaim writes Why Zionism today is the real en...
- Become a conscientious objector
- File on 4: BBC tells how $9 billion was stolen fr...
- ▼ February (127)
- Korea Life Blog
- Academic Secret
- African Food Blog
- Genius Duck
- Second String Swap
- Work at Home News
- Just Another Opinion Blog
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Chiefly Musing Home Tips
- Health Talk and You
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Health Talk and You
- Saints Car Club
- Moon Rider
- Super Pong
- Jeffrey Scott Band
- Fusion Recipes
- Oregon Lawyers
- Rent Empress
- Jake Gyllenhaal Fan Club
- Hurdler Page
- Johnny Bravo Site
- Survey Land
- Internet Data
- Film Acting
- Golden Girls Quotes
- Soda Traders
- The Chess Haven
- Integrity Library
- A&F Models
- Dancer's Domain
- Myanmar Institute of Technology
- Pilgrim's Products
- Redhead Hair Site
- Olympics Page