18:20 | Posted by liminal | Edit Post
Zeyad just posted this wise advice:
Now that the euphoria of elections day has worn out, many Iraqis sense that the political future of the country is a bit more clear than it was before January 31. Immediate steps should be taken by the interim government, with the assistance of the international community, to arrange an urgent conference for Iraqi national reconciliation.
Invitations should be open to all Iraqi political and social groups, regardless of their repsective ideologies and their current stand from the occupation and the ongoing political process in the country. It is also essential that this conference includes elements of the former political order if possible, provided that they have not committed crimes against Iraqis whether in the past or in the present, as well as delegates from the largest and most influential tribes in the dissident areas and senior clerics from all over the country, encompassing religious and sectarian differences.
Many political groups that boycotted the elections are now softening their tone and are sheepishly asking for a role in the political process, trying as much as they can to save face at the same time. The Association of Muslim Scholars, the Pan-Arab, Nasseri, and Socialist movements, the Khalisi group and the Sadrists are among the first groups to call for such a role. Had there been no elections, this could not have been possible.
There is already a consensus among the different political powers that drafting the permanent constitution should not be done solely by the elected National Assembly. This in order to safeguard the interests of the part of the population that did not participate in the elections and to reassure Iraqis that everyone has a say in their future. No longer will one group, no matter how large its support base, dominate over others.
I truly hope that Iraqi politicians realise this and can work to achieve it, leaving aside their personal interests and differences for one moment, putting the prejudices of the past behind them, and listening to what Iraqis have to say. For it is Iraqis, and Iraqis alone, that are the key to solving this whole mess.
Apart from a minority that would rather burn down the country than see someone else in power, I am confident that most Iraqis are weary of all the violence, chaos and bloodshed. It is therefore the utmost duty of Iraqi politicians, the occupation authority and the international community to seize upon the moment and to quit beating around bushes.
It is time to involve the Iraqis themselves, to give them the final word. Iraqis do not wish for their country to be a "frontline on the war of terror", as Bush recently stated. Iraqis do not wish for their country to be a battleground for reactionary bearded cavemen waging their holy wars. Iraqis do not wish to be fuel for the wars of neighbouring countries. Iraqis want to live and let live. Iraqis want what you have.
# posted by zeyad : 2/9/2005 07:49:33 PM
- ► 2006 (52)
- Be happy, rest, savor the victory...
- Commentary on the Lebanese situation
- The entire Lebanese government resigns, now Lahoud...
- VICTORY #1: Prime Minister Omar Karameh Steps Down...
- Thousands rally in Beirut, Pre-empting the protest...
- Syria Did It
- If you get the chance...
- Max Ehrmann sums it up in Desiderata
- Who is your daddy, and what does he do?
- The Right Wing Echo Chamber on Video
- If William Faulkner were writing on the Bush White...
- Feeling Iraq'd?
- Iraqi women live in fear, Amnesty says
- Egypt announces democratic reform: Nawal Saadawi f...
- No votes in Nineveh: We are the new Kurds, a crush...
- Marine escapes charges over Fallujah shooting beca...
- You can't be patriotic if you're gay, it's against...
- Nuclear Security: Georgey's gotta prop Putin up
- This just in: Jaafari chosen as Iraq's next Prime...
- Resume: GWBoosh
- Kulluna lil-watan, lil'ula lil-'alam...
- Nietzsche and Ahmed
- Amen Bob, amen...
- Hunter S. Thompson rest in peace
- 50 Questions for Alberto Gonzales
- Slavoj Zizek: The empty wheelbarrow
- Nick Kilroy rest in peace
- I got pepper in my eye. Don't ask how...So, I hav...
- Classic - Rainbow TV
- Nobel Peace Prize Winner: Attacking Iran would br...
- Chronicles of the Teflon President: The Secret Ta...
- Government Accountability Office Warns Federal Age...
- The White House has ties to gay prostitution
- Frontline causes controversy...again.
- Most Americans Don't Know..
- U.S. Soldiers Taking Ecstasy
- Pentagon Prepares To Build $130bn Robot Army
- Jon Stewart's Daily Show on Bloggers 02/16/05
- Friedman is lying about meeting Hariri in the 70s:...
- DNI = Subservient Yes Man That Turns Blind Eye to ...
- Lebanese Blogger Forum
- Laura Rozen provides an interesting linkhere that ...
- Lebanese Blogs
- Attending to the Fly of the Emperor
- Un Regard Moderne - Edition du mardi 15 fevrier 20...
- US Accused of Plan to Muzzle al-Jazeera Through Pr...
- Bene Diction Blogs On: Accountability: Church Recr...
- Pop-up Windows?
- The End of Blogging? Google Pulls The Plug
- Military Mission
- Israeli spies, Syrian obsession and a peace that h...
- The killing of 'Mr Lebanon': Rafik Hariri assassin...
- What did I tell you about the Security Council?
- Reactions from Lebanon after Hariri's Assassinatio...
- Incompetence in the Wild West Why Allawi, the CPA...
- Ereli Impressed...
- Teez'oh Sol'iff l'oh
- Lebanon Bomb
- DoS/International Information Programs: Foreign Co...
- Paranoia Grips US
- Chomsky: Budget attacks America's majority
- Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character...
- Discussions and Posts about the Creepy church recr...
- Juan Cole gives an election roundup that's worth c...
- The London Independent reveals, Training of Ira...
- 5,500 US Troops flee the war in Iraq
- EFFICIENT VERSION: Holy S**t! It's fascist picture...
- l e b a n e s e s u n r i s e
- See, Speak, Hear No Evil
- LOOK, I'M REALLY FRUSTRATED RIGHT NOW. I CANNOT M...
- River blogs about elections, the stories, the time...
- The Incredible Joe Wilson Speaks Out at the Daily ...
- No War on Iran!
- Carnival, Mardi Gras, or Iraq?
- Anger is an energy -P.I.
- Grrrr... this makes me so angry. You have no clue...
- Via Marie at the kos: Pentagon to broadcast to mil...
- CROOKS AND LIARS...that's only the tip of it.
- I'm a sucker for satire.
- CBFTW: This blog is no longer a blog written by a ...
- Masters of Blog
- I love Senator Barbara Boxer.
- PMBC Men's Night Out January 28, 2005: some more m...
- Gannon the fake reporter for a fake news organisat...
- sometimes we wonder why air is so indifferent to l...
- dowd on madame hawk's scripted questions
- Please Listen to Zeyad
- .tiff screenshots of the Church Recruitment Incide...
- Mark of JSF enlightens me about a campaign of conf...
- An Iraqi nationalist party is needed
- In an attempt to clear the mental palette, I retur...
- Holy S**t! It's fascist picture story time!!
- The soft and the pliable will defeat the hard and ...
- Avi Shlaim writes Why Zionism today is the real en...
- Become a conscientious objector
- File on 4: BBC tells how $9 billion was stolen fr...
- ▼ February (127)
- Korea Life Blog
- Academic Secret
- African Food Blog
- Genius Duck
- Second String Swap
- Work at Home News
- Just Another Opinion Blog
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Chiefly Musing Home Tips
- Health Talk and You
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Health Talk and You
- Saints Car Club
- Moon Rider
- Super Pong
- Jeffrey Scott Band
- Fusion Recipes
- Oregon Lawyers
- Rent Empress
- Jake Gyllenhaal Fan Club
- Hurdler Page
- Johnny Bravo Site
- Survey Land
- Internet Data
- Film Acting
- Golden Girls Quotes
- Soda Traders
- The Chess Haven
- Integrity Library
- A&F Models
- Dancer's Domain
- Myanmar Institute of Technology
- Pilgrim's Products
- Redhead Hair Site
- Olympics Page