16:36 | Posted by liminal | Edit Post
This is news. Anne E. Kornblut reports from the NY Times,
The comptroller general has issued a blanket warning that reminds federal agencies they may not produce newscasts promoting administration policies without clearly stating that the government itself is the source.
Twice in the last two years, agencies of the federal government have been caught distributing prepackaged television programs that used paid spokesmen acting as newscasters and, in violation of federal law, failed to disclose the administration's role in developing and financing them.
And those were not isolated incidents, David M. Walker, the comptroller general, said in a letter dated Thursday that put all agency heads on notice about the practice.
In fact, it has become increasingly common for federal agencies to adopt the public relations tactic of producing "video news releases" that look indistinguishable from authentic newscasts and, as ready-made and cost-free reports, are sometimes picked up by local news programs. It is illegal for the government to produce or distribute such publicity material domestically without disclosing its own role.
Mr. Walker, who as comptroller general is chief of the Government Accountability Office, Congress's investigative arm, said in his letter: "While agencies generally have the right to disseminate information about their policies and activities, agencies may not use appropriated funds to produce or distribute prepackaged news stories intended to be viewed by television audiences that conceal or do not clearly identify for the television viewing audience that the agency was the source of those materials."
"The G.A.O. is sending a clear message to the Bush administration: shut down the propaganda mill," Senator Frank R. Lautenberg of New Jersey said in a statement on Friday. "The G.A.O. is simply telling the White House to stop manipulating media, stop paying journalists and be straight with the American people."
- ► 2006 (52)
- Be happy, rest, savor the victory...
- Commentary on the Lebanese situation
- The entire Lebanese government resigns, now Lahoud...
- VICTORY #1: Prime Minister Omar Karameh Steps Down...
- Thousands rally in Beirut, Pre-empting the protest...
- Syria Did It
- If you get the chance...
- Max Ehrmann sums it up in Desiderata
- Who is your daddy, and what does he do?
- The Right Wing Echo Chamber on Video
- If William Faulkner were writing on the Bush White...
- Feeling Iraq'd?
- Iraqi women live in fear, Amnesty says
- Egypt announces democratic reform: Nawal Saadawi f...
- No votes in Nineveh: We are the new Kurds, a crush...
- Marine escapes charges over Fallujah shooting beca...
- You can't be patriotic if you're gay, it's against...
- Nuclear Security: Georgey's gotta prop Putin up
- This just in: Jaafari chosen as Iraq's next Prime...
- Resume: GWBoosh
- Kulluna lil-watan, lil'ula lil-'alam...
- Nietzsche and Ahmed
- Amen Bob, amen...
- Hunter S. Thompson rest in peace
- 50 Questions for Alberto Gonzales
- Slavoj Zizek: The empty wheelbarrow
- Nick Kilroy rest in peace
- I got pepper in my eye. Don't ask how...So, I hav...
- Classic - Rainbow TV
- Nobel Peace Prize Winner: Attacking Iran would br...
- Chronicles of the Teflon President: The Secret Ta...
- Government Accountability Office Warns Federal Age...
- The White House has ties to gay prostitution
- Frontline causes controversy...again.
- Most Americans Don't Know..
- U.S. Soldiers Taking Ecstasy
- Pentagon Prepares To Build $130bn Robot Army
- Jon Stewart's Daily Show on Bloggers 02/16/05
- Friedman is lying about meeting Hariri in the 70s:...
- DNI = Subservient Yes Man That Turns Blind Eye to ...
- Lebanese Blogger Forum
- Laura Rozen provides an interesting linkhere that ...
- Lebanese Blogs
- Attending to the Fly of the Emperor
- Un Regard Moderne - Edition du mardi 15 fevrier 20...
- US Accused of Plan to Muzzle al-Jazeera Through Pr...
- Bene Diction Blogs On: Accountability: Church Recr...
- Pop-up Windows?
- The End of Blogging? Google Pulls The Plug
- Military Mission
- Israeli spies, Syrian obsession and a peace that h...
- The killing of 'Mr Lebanon': Rafik Hariri assassin...
- What did I tell you about the Security Council?
- Reactions from Lebanon after Hariri's Assassinatio...
- Incompetence in the Wild West Why Allawi, the CPA...
- Ereli Impressed...
- Teez'oh Sol'iff l'oh
- Lebanon Bomb
- DoS/International Information Programs: Foreign Co...
- Paranoia Grips US
- Chomsky: Budget attacks America's majority
- Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character...
- Discussions and Posts about the Creepy church recr...
- Juan Cole gives an election roundup that's worth c...
- The London Independent reveals, Training of Ira...
- 5,500 US Troops flee the war in Iraq
- EFFICIENT VERSION: Holy S**t! It's fascist picture...
- l e b a n e s e s u n r i s e
- See, Speak, Hear No Evil
- LOOK, I'M REALLY FRUSTRATED RIGHT NOW. I CANNOT M...
- River blogs about elections, the stories, the time...
- The Incredible Joe Wilson Speaks Out at the Daily ...
- No War on Iran!
- Carnival, Mardi Gras, or Iraq?
- Anger is an energy -P.I.
- Grrrr... this makes me so angry. You have no clue...
- Via Marie at the kos: Pentagon to broadcast to mil...
- CROOKS AND LIARS...that's only the tip of it.
- I'm a sucker for satire.
- CBFTW: This blog is no longer a blog written by a ...
- Masters of Blog
- I love Senator Barbara Boxer.
- PMBC Men's Night Out January 28, 2005: some more m...
- Gannon the fake reporter for a fake news organisat...
- sometimes we wonder why air is so indifferent to l...
- dowd on madame hawk's scripted questions
- Please Listen to Zeyad
- .tiff screenshots of the Church Recruitment Incide...
- Mark of JSF enlightens me about a campaign of conf...
- An Iraqi nationalist party is needed
- In an attempt to clear the mental palette, I retur...
- Holy S**t! It's fascist picture story time!!
- The soft and the pliable will defeat the hard and ...
- Avi Shlaim writes Why Zionism today is the real en...
- Become a conscientious objector
- File on 4: BBC tells how $9 billion was stolen fr...
- ▼ February (127)
- Korea Life Blog
- Academic Secret
- African Food Blog
- Genius Duck
- Second String Swap
- Work at Home News
- Just Another Opinion Blog
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Chiefly Musing Home Tips
- Health Talk and You
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Health Talk and You
- Saints Car Club
- Moon Rider
- Super Pong
- Jeffrey Scott Band
- Fusion Recipes
- Oregon Lawyers
- Rent Empress
- Jake Gyllenhaal Fan Club
- Hurdler Page
- Johnny Bravo Site
- Survey Land
- Internet Data
- Film Acting
- Golden Girls Quotes
- Soda Traders
- The Chess Haven
- Integrity Library
- A&F Models
- Dancer's Domain
- Myanmar Institute of Technology
- Pilgrim's Products
- Redhead Hair Site
- Olympics Page