19.1.05

American soldier blogger dies in Iraq

I think this is important, so I'm cross-posting it from Iraq Blog Count.



Dear all,

To be quite honest, I don't really know how to approach this matter entirely. I learned about this soldier's blog randomly at Mark Kraft's blog when surfing around yesterday. I realize I am rather critical of American designs and methods in Iraq. But it is only because I care about both Iraq and America. I see both headed for a terrible future and I don't like it all. I am a firm believer that if the truth is not confronted head-on in this specific matter that reconciliation will be impossible after all the dust settles. And quite frankly, will the dust ever settle? I still have a strong faith it will. But I'm not all that happy these days.

Anyway, here is Mike's (aka wolfmoon98) last post. It is so sad given both the gravity of the title of his blog "too f---ing scared to create" and this last post dated 3 January 2005.

regrets, i've had a few

so i've been thinking a lot lately.

that time at the college... nope...

those countless times in the car... nope...

the party? you guessed it... NOPE

i know i've always said i don't regret anything i've done in my life, but i think i found one.
--------------------------------------------
it's time to call my dad. it's his birthday today
--------------------------------------------
beauty and the beast is such a great movie
--------------------------------------------
i need a day off

that is all...

missing you

and all of you too

-Mike


He also mentions some telling facts and perspective about his experience in Iraq.



well, here is a longer one than normal

well.. i know i haven't been updating much, or really talking about my time here, so i'm going to have a run down of some things.

1. don't ask me if i've killed anyone. i don't like this question. just know i've done what i've had to, to survive, and this doesn't mean i have or haven't.

2. this is a run down of whats happened to me personally since i've been here.

a. been the victim of 3 roadside bombs (IED's) but haven't been injured in any of them.
b. been in 8 firefights. i was shot in one of them, but it only went through my cargo pocket, didn't hit my body.
c. been mortared more times than i can count. our unit is the most heavily mortared unit since the start of the war. but we've had no casulties from them, except for some vehicle damage.
d. i've been in more iraqi homes than i can count, and the people seem nice, some of the time. i've had lunch with one family, and i've detained another.

that is about all i can think of right now. if i think of more, i'll update.

3. if any of you are thinking about sending care packages, i have thought of something you can throw in there that would make me very very happy. Cloves. Djarum Blacks to be precise. Lots and lots.... actually, not lots, since they are expensive. but one or 2 packs would go a long way. thank you all in advance.

also, i've become somewhat of a star wars nut, so any little trinket would tickle my pickle.

well, just know that i'm alive, and i'm thinking of all of you. i miss you all so much

love
-Mike



(sigh) I believe it is time to reflect more. I wish Mike's family all the peace in the world. This must be an excruciatingly difficult time for them. On behalf of Iraq blog count, I offer my sincerest condolences. I wish there was some way I could express the mixed-up emotions I feel about accidentally running into Mike's blog in this manner.

Please, please support the truth coming out about Iraq by any means necessary. Please give an encouraging word to all individuals, strangers or not, who risk their lives in Iraq. To say that I feel mildly awkward about being the one bringing such news to you is an understatement.

Peace and Grace,

Liminal

too f---ing scared to create

0 comments:

Blog Archive