Evidence we are heading into a global, self-sustaining insurgency thanks to the idiotic and reckless neo-con-job invasion of Iraq
New York and Washington. Bali, Riyadh, Istanbul, Madrid. And now London.
When will it end? Where will it all lead?
The experts aren’t encouraged. One prominent terrorism researcher sees the prospect of “endless” war. Adds the man who tracked Osama bin Laden for the CIA, “I don’t think it’s even started yet.”
An Associated Press survey of longtime students of international terrorism finds them ever more convinced, in the aftermath of London’s bloody Thursday, that the world has entered a long siege in a new kind of war. They believe that al-Qaida is mutating into a global insurgency, a possible prototype for other 21st-century movements, technologically astute, almost leaderless. And the way out is far from clear.
In fact, says Michael Scheuer, the ex-CIA analyst, rather than move toward solutions, the United States took a big step backward by invading Iraq.
Now, this is true...
Now, he said, “we’re at the point where jihad is self-sustaining,” where Islamic “holy warriors” in Iraq fight America with or without allegiance to al-Qaida’s bin Laden....and here's the evidence from the communique following the London attacks:
The cold statistics of a RAND Corp database show the impact of the explosion of violence in Iraq: The 5,362 deaths from terrorism worldwide between March 2004 and March 2005 were almost double the total for the same 12-month period before the 2003 U.S. invasion.
Thursday’s attacks on London’s transit system mirrored last year’s bombings of Madrid commuter trains, and both point to an al-Qaida evolving into a movement whose isolated leaders offer video or Internet inspiration — but little more — to local “jihadists” who carry out the strikes.
Community of Islam: rejoice at the good news! Community of Arabism: rejoice at the good news! The time of revenge has come for the crusader, Zionist British government.
Billmon connects the dots as usual.
Suffice to say, the Cheney administration helped make the split between the two disappear. Meaning, they helped make the world less safe. And you could almost make the point that they did this deliberately, as to justify racism and violence against all Arabs and Muslims no matter what their aims were. It's the very sick irony and utter folly about falsely linking Saddam with Al Qaeda as far as I see it. In destroying Iraq and making it into a recruiting ground for terrorists, it has become exactly what proponents of the war should have hoped to avoid creating: Summer camp for terrorists heading to the global insurgency. Of course, there should have been some forethought about what reaction such a foolish and illegal war would unleash upon the world. Like Scheuer, I believe the richer nations of the world will most certainly need to address the underlying causes of terrorism through alterations of their foreign policies if there is to be any hope in all of this death and darkness the future holds.
The original Arabic word for "Community of Arabism" is 'urubah – a term which has extremely negative connotations in the "Salafist" ideology that underpins Al Qaeda's world view. (I put the term in quotes because the concept of salafiyya, or respect for the "pious ancestors" of Islam, has other, far more benign, interpretations than those of the jihadis.)
Arabism is usually associated with the secular nationalism of Nasser, the PLO and – in extreme fascistic form – the Iraqi Ba'ath Party. While some Islamic thinkers, such as the late Palestinian scholar Isma’il al-Faruqi, have tried to reconcile Arabism and Islamism, militant Salafists have regarded the two as mutually hostile, at least up until now.
So, to the Cheney administration and all other people out there who still having delusions of grandeur: Please stop blowing sunshine out your asses and start paying attention to what is actually occuring.
Bob Herbert is not amused either.
- ► 2006 (52)
- Chris Matthews says it well.
- Ouch: Cockburn makes it burn.
- Warning: Iraqi Policewoman is as fine as she can b...
- Não um terrorista = Not a terrorist
- Leave computers for a day...
- Sam Cooke & Soul Stirrers: Strike out against the ...
- Thanks to the "Liberation" : Iraqi women get Irani...
- John Dizard: How Ahmed Chalabi conned the neocons
- Juan Cole: The Iraq war is over, and the winner is...
- Sign the Petition & Write your congressional repre...
- As usual: Yet another powerful piece from Ghaith
- Karma Police: This is what you get when you mess w...
- London Links
- The Terrorists are Winning: Censorship Rules
- Give Us Our Khalid Back
- Americans Don't Like Bush: Many New Lows and High...
- Iraqi Minister: The Americans were the partners of...
- Ken Livingston Just Gave an Amazing Speech at Traf...
- Where is the outrage? 24 Iraqi CHILDREN killed wh...
- Signs Your Foreign Policy is Seriously Effed Up: ...
- Juan Cole Blocked by the Thought Police
- Living in Crypto-Fascism: Lying to the American Pe...
- Remembering Srebrenica
- UK Ambassador to Italy: George Bush is the "best r...
- Evidence we are heading into a global, self-sustai...
- Senator Barbara Boxer's Speech at the Commonwealth...
- Independent: Leaky UK Memo Shows Pull Out Plans
- Robert Fisk: The reality of this barbaric bombing
- Hot Asian BBC World Reporters: The Future of Jour...
- London Bombings: RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!...
- Guardian: So, Mr. Bremer, where did all the money ...
- Recommending... Rebbecca Ray: Newfoundland
- Extremists vs Liberals
- China & Russia: Set Timetable to Withdraw from Cen...
- Billmon on Wing Nut Radio: Assets to Extremism
- Happy Fourth of July: For the Freedom to Worship ...
- Deep Impact
- Cousin: 90% Gangs, 10% Fighting Occupation Legitim...
- Sunday Cyborg Blogging
- RETARD ALERT
- Some things to take note of...
- Luther Vandross RIP
- The Emperor's Servers
- ▼ July (44)
- Korea Life Blog
- Academic Secret
- African Food Blog
- Genius Duck
- Second String Swap
- Work at Home News
- Just Another Opinion Blog
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Chiefly Musing Home Tips
- Health Talk and You
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Health Talk and You
- Saints Car Club
- Moon Rider
- Super Pong
- Jeffrey Scott Band
- Fusion Recipes
- Oregon Lawyers
- Rent Empress
- Jake Gyllenhaal Fan Club
- Hurdler Page
- Johnny Bravo Site
- Survey Land
- Internet Data
- Film Acting
- Golden Girls Quotes
- Soda Traders
- The Chess Haven
- Integrity Library
- A&F Models
- Dancer's Domain
- Myanmar Institute of Technology
- Pilgrim's Products
- Redhead Hair Site
- Olympics Page